Sunday, April 11, 2010

Another flake!

I really thought I could depend on Guido Pete. Man did he work me over. From his smooth talk and obliging demeanor, plus the details he provided, I really thought he would follow through with our plans to go out last night. Noppppppe. Another guido left me hanging. Obviously this is undeniably a huge part of how guidos behave, and it has to go in the piece.

It kind of ruins the intimacy aspect of an ethnography, but I have to deal with the reality of the situation, and that is that they are showing me that culturally they are selfish and unreliable, and they're only interested in talking to me for one night - but they won't tell me that, because for that one night they've gotta keep me around. I'm trying to figure out how to handle that, when it comes to writing this piece. I would like to somehow give the impression that this is a series of one-night stands that these guido informants put this journalist through. They left me hanging like I can only assume they do to so many women whom they try to engage romantically. I'm not quite sure how to write it like that, though. Would I be using "I" too much, and would that be unacceptable?

No comments:

Post a Comment